project british eagle completed
Today I added the finishing touches to the blue bike, effectively completing the restoration and the transformation, chrysalis-like, from elderly MTB into a nice British touring bike.
Here she is six months ago, a very tired looking clunker which I tended to use to go to the pub on, and little else.
Yesterday saw the fitting of a new chain and carrier bolts, which stopped the problem where the bolts were fouling against the chain. Today I fitted the saddle, a honey-coloured Brooks B17 which on first impressions is supremely comfortable.
The bike looks a stunner, I have to say. I’m going to give the gears a bit of attention as the indexing is a bit out, but it’s ride able.
I’ve tried to use British bits wherever possible, excepting of course the Japanese running gear and brakes. So the saddle is a Brooks and the saddlebag is a lovely cotton duck Carradice, the design of which hasn’t changed for years and years. Both should improve with use and age. I also fitted a pair of ergo grips which can be adjusted via allen keys on the bars, and a Cateye Velo8 computer, the same as I have on my road bike.
So, a running report to follow once I get sorted out and go for some decent rides on her.
Postscript, later the same day: A short test ride and she rides beautifully. New bearings and chain mean that the rear mech is totally silent. Handles and stops beautifully and the gears aren’t too bad, but will get them fettled anyway. Mark says his Brooks now squeaks like hell when he rides, and that the saddle oil is v.v. costly. Damn, didn’t budget for that.
If you use a Brooks saddle, then you might like to read this.