a couple of tweaks
The orbea has had a fairly quiet time for the last fortnight as I have been hammering the roads in a diesel-powered machine instead to Scotland and back. However it has been fettled in two significant ways – new brake calipers/pads and a new saddle.
The brakes were cheap chinese jobs, and as the cables were rusting/fraying a bit after winter use, and the pads wearing down, I took the plunge and got a heftily reduced pair of 105 calipers from chain reaction’s sale pages. Fitting them was a relative breeze – the ubiquitous 4 and 5 allen keys were in use for this.
After some initial tweaking, the new brakes have been incredible. The strength, modulation and sheer stopping power (I inserted a set of koolstop black pads as well) have been notable. They also have the benefit of looking really cool. I have replaced the cables with stainless steel ones.
Then, I also invested in a replacement saddle – the logic being that this is the key contact point, and on longer rides recently the standard-fit selle italia x2 saddle has been uncomfortable, I tend to get a dead right foot which I attribute to circulation problems caused by the sit position on the saddle. I visited Thomas’ in Ipswich and used their bontrager sit analyser, which is basically a gel filled pad that you sit on and the sit bones are measured. I shaped up as a medium (never having given birth….) and plumped for a specialized alias saddle, which is firm and also open in the middle, so a test ride is now needed to see how she performs.
the old saddle, also much heavier than the new one which has a carbon hull and titanium rails, has been assigned to the garage for emergencies only.